Filter by Category
Professional Development Points
Portuguese Conversation Skills for Teachers, Administrators and Support Staff - Basic Level
with Fausta Bascacci
Introduction to the foundations of the conversational Brazilian Portuguese for grades K-12 teachers, school administrators, and school support staff to provide a theoretical and practical foundation for culturally responsive teaching of English language learners.
Participants develop a basic level of oral comprehension and speaking proficiency, with an introductory approach to reading, and writing skills, as the supporting tool for the conversational-focused course goals.
The course will cover the basic structures of the Portuguese language that teachers, administrators and support staff need to engage in day-to-day conversations with students, immigrant families and refugee families, and understand cross-cultural communication and its implications for teaching and learning. This course is apporved for 15 PDPs that satisfy the DESE SEI requirement for recertification.
- Recognizing and understanding backgrounds and circumstances of the families you are working with (cultural humility, cultural responsiveness, cultural proficiency).
- Understanding the importance of expanding infrastructure for interpretation (oral) and translation (written) services.
- Speaking in face-to-face interaction, by using short sentences, learned vocabulary, simple questions, and commands.
- Listening in face-to-face interaction, or using audio or video materials, by understanding clear uncomplicated speech.
- Reading authentic materials, such as menus, photos, posters, schedules, charts, signs, and short narratives, by understanding short texts and visual clues.
The course offers multiple interactive activities, on the college’s Moodle platform, in which the participants will interact with each other and/or the instructor through pedagogical activities, mimicking daily life interactions in the school environment and beyond, during Weekly scheduled Zoom meetings.
Take this course from the comfort of your home, office, or classroom! This course is offered remotely using Zoom and Moodle. Zoom and Moodle guidance and instructions will be provided prior to the start of class.